Equity vs diversity
Disparity persists in research access
Delivering trials to those most affected: a comprehensive approach
Case study: using epidemiological and biosurveillance methods to guide site selection in tuberculosis vaccine trials
Broad input during trial planning key to equitable research access
- Mackey K, Ayers CK, Kondo KK, et al. Racial and ethnic disparities in COVID-19-related infections, hospitalizations, and deaths: a systematic review. Annals of Internal Medicine 2021;174(3):362–373. doi: 10.7326/m20-6306.
- Heumann C, Cohn SE, Krishnan S, et al. Regional variation in HIV clinical trials participation in the United States. South Med J 2015;108:107-116. https://doi.org/10.14423/smj.0000000000000234
- Castillo-Mancilla JR, Cohn SE, Krishnan S, et al. Minorities remain underrepresented in HIV/AIDS research despite access to clinical trials. HIV Clin Trials 2014;15:14-26. https://doi.org/10.1310/hct1501-14
- Huamani KF, Metch B, Broder G, et al. A demographic analysis of racial/ethnic minority enrollment into HVTN preventive early phase HIV vaccine clinical trials conducted in the United States, 2002–2016. Public Health Rep 2019;134:72-80. https://doi.org/10.1177/0033354918814260
- Li G, Zhang J, Van Spall HGC, Douglas PS, Wang Y, Sun X, Thabane L. Exploring ethnic representativeness in diabetes clinical trial enrolment from 2000 to 2020: a chronological survey. Diabetologia. 2022 Jun 16:1–12. doi: 10.1007/s00125-022-05736-z
- Wei S, Le NC, Zhu JW, et al. Factors Associated With Racial and Ethnic Diversity Among Heart Failure Trial Participants: A Systematic Bibliometric Review. Circulation: Heart Failure 2022;15(3):e008685
- Williams JN, Dall’Era M, Lim SS, et al. Increasing Ancestral Diversity in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Clinical Studies. Arthritis Care Res 2022;74:420-426. https://doi.org/10.1002/acr.24474
- Franzen, S, Smith, JE, van den Berg, E, et al. Diversity in Alzheimer’s disease drug trials: The importance of eligibility criteria. Alzheimer’s Dement 2022;18:810-823. https://doi.org/10.1002/alz.12433
- Bothongo P, Jitlal M, Parry E, et al. Dementia risk in a diverse population: a single-region nested case-control study in the East End of London. Lancet Reg Health Eur 2022;15:100321.
- Gilbert PB, Peterson ML, Follmann D, et al. Correlation between immunologic responses to a recombinant glycoprotein 120 vaccine and incidence of HIV-1 infection in a phase 3 HIV-1 preventive vaccine trial. J Infect Dis 2005;191(5):666-677.
- Montefiore DC, Metch B, McElrath MJ, et al. Demographic factors that influence the neutralizing antibody response in recipients of recombinant HIV-1 gp120 vaccines. J Infect Dis 2004;190(11):1962-1999.
- Gan S, Dawed AY, Donnelly LA, et al. Efficacy of modern diabetes treatments DPP-4i, SGLT-2i, and GLP-1RA in White and Asian patients with diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Diabetes Care. 2020;43(8):1948–1957. doi: 10.2337/dc19-2419.
- Cohen J, Pertsemlidis A, Kotowski IK, et al. Low LDL cholesterol in individuals of African descent resulting from frequent nonsense mutations in PCSK9. Nat Genet 2005;37:161-165. https://doi.org/10.1038/ng1509
- Machipisa T, Chong M, Muhamed B, et al. Association of Novel Locus With Rheumatic Heart Disease in Black African Individuals: Findings From the RHDGen Study. JAMA Cardiol 2021;6(9):1000-1011. doi:10.1001/jamacardio.2021.1627
- Enhancing the Diversity of Clinical Trial Populations — Eligibility Criteria, Enrollment Practices, and Trial Designs Guidance for Industry. Food & Drug Administration. November 2020. Available at: https://www.fda.gov/regulatory-information/search-fda-guidance-documents/enhancing-diversity-clinical-trial-populations-eligibility-criteria-enrollment-practices-and-trial
- Schneider LS, Olin JT, Lyness SA, et al. Eligibility of Alzheimer’s disease clinic patients for clinical trials. J Am Geriatr Soc 1997;45(8):923-928.
- Andrasik MP, Broder GB, Wallace SE, et al. Increasing Black, Indigenous and People of Color participation in clinical trials through community engagement and recruitment goal establishment. PLoS ONE 2021;16(10):e0258858. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0258858
- Pantelic M, Steinert JI, Ayala G. Addressing epistemic injustice in HIV research: a call for reporting guidelines on meaningful community engagement. J Int AIDS Soc 2022;25:e25880. https://doi.org/10.1002/jia2.25880